Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That's One Big Sink

The latest Studio Build project is wrapping up and that included installing a few small, and one very big, concrete items. It seems everything but the kitchen countertops are concrete. The fireplace surround is GFRC polished through 3000 grit and coated with beeswax. The bathroom countertops were lightly ground and sealed. The big piece was an eight and a half foot long integral sink in the master bath. It is also GFRC. This is a perfect example of where GFRC is far superior to conventional mixes. If we did this conventionally it would have weighed about 500 lbs. Since we did GFRC it only weighed 240 lbs. My biceps are still sore from carrying this in, but a 50% weight and material savings makes it manageable. It's charcoal grey and was coated with the Richard James sealer kit.

Recently I performed another sealer roundup using some scrap pieces lying around. It gives me an excuse to break out the beers on a Saturday morning. My standard test materials are vinegar, hot sauce, toothpaste, red wine, mustard, and an icy cold beer for a sweat stain. I was very impressed with the performance of the Richard James silane, epoxy, urethane combination. I normally densify the surface using a lithium silicate, which makes this a four step process. That is a lot more effort and cost than the traditional acrylic, but the results are worth it. None of these liquids had any effect on the surface. 
 
The very dark section was beeswax applied to a highly polished surface. It looks very cool and is a great color enhancer, however beeswax doesn't provide much protection against acid attack and requires constant recoating.


12 comments:

  1. This reminds me of some of the counter tops I've seen in Merrillville IN! Did you install it yourself, then? I think it looks great so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, very nice, informative & well designed blog. We also manufacture and supply different vareity of CLC Machines which are cost effective.
    Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great blog for concrete cracking. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. I've been looking for different places in Edmonton that do concrete because I'm trying to redo counters in my garage. My friend is a chemical engineer and "experimented" on them. They're not there any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of actually having concrete furniture. I had only thought of it as a foundation for homes and such.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it is to nice discussion about kitchen sink. and in present time this is good topic to make own blog.
    concrete toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you add #3 re-bar to that? I want to do this for an outdoor bbq island. Can you get a concrete pumping company to come and form it, or is that something you need to arrange ahead of time? I'm assuming you need a nice smooth finish on it so drinks don't spill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sam, Thanks for the question. I am putting a post together to discuss your question. The answer was much longer than the comment box allows.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The information shared is awesome and is well designed. Concrete Patios TX may help you in retrieving healthy tips

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well must say that the above blog is real resourceful and great when considering to set up counter kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow ....

    What a great tips ! I am really impressed.thanks a lot for gave me excellent information.
    Excavation Contractor

    ReplyDelete
  12. nice concrete blog , I just wondered by seeing your nice blog about best decorative concrete thanks a lot

    ReplyDelete