Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Adventures in Polyurethane Mold Building Part 1.

I say adventure because I'm not sure this will turn out. Here is the bamboo tiki light I am attempting to turn into a concrete tiki light holder. I need to build a mold for the rubber (the easy part) and make the lamp water tight (the hard part).
Here we go, two part polyurethane used to make durable and reusable concrete stamps and molds. It's not cheap but if the mold turns out, I will be able to make a bunch of these to help defray the cost.
On the left the mold for the mold. On the right, the sealed tikiman. I backed the face area with masking tape and filled in the light bulb access and cord holes with molding clay.
Then I sprayed everything with a liberal shot of silicone mold release and glued them down. Per manufacturers suggestion there is 1/2inch between the mold and the tikiman. Once the polyurethane is set I will split it in two halves to remove the bamboo.
The silicone glue will have to set up at least a day before I can make a mess, I mean pour the mold.

2 comments:

  1. Creating new things always provide satisfaction. You must have enjoyed your work and we are enjoying these nice pictures and sharing your experience. I will keep on visiting here again.
    Adam from Handyman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your adventure. Must say I never came across it before.
    Plumber

    ReplyDelete